WHY YOU SHOULDN'T USE SOLVENT BASED TIRE SHINENov 10, 2020
JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAP, SOLVENT BASED TIRE SHINE ISN’T THE ANSWER
In the detailing industry, there are those who swear solvent-based tire shine causes damage to your tires. Others have no issue with solvent-based tire shine — so who’s right? Let’s break down the science behind why solvent-based tire shine isn’t safe for your tires, your paint, and you.
WHY IT’S NOT SAFE FOR YOUR HEALTH
Many solvent based tire shine products contain a chemical called Hexane. Hexane is a dangerous neurotoxin that damages the central nervous system in the long-term. Short-term side effects include dizziness, nausea, headaches and a loss of consciousness. Hexane is also flammable, and if not used properly, can ignite and inflict serious burns.
WHY IT’S NOT SAFE FOR YOUR TIRES
The second argument against solvents is that they change the composition of your tires. However, according to the University of Montreal and McGill University, research suggests that Butyl rubber, although chemically resistant, is not resistant to nonpolar solvents. Hexane, a nonpolar solvent, penetrates the rubber polymer and leads to a dramatic change of material properties, or, degradation.
These tire shine products also hold on to dirt easier, leading to more needed wheel washing.
WHY IT’S NOT SAFE FOR YOUR PAINT
Solvent based tire shine slings, meaning the product flies from the tires onto the surface of the paint and collects dirt. If not removed, these spots can cause permanent damage.
A water based tire shine product is safer for your tires, paint, and your health.
Now that you know this information — are you looking for water-based tire gel?
Pearl Nano’s water based Tire Gel, easily wipes on with little effort and is designed to not sling.